Pet Peeves

Pet+Peeves

Jenna Williams, West Brunswick High School

Pet peeves are some of the most common things in the world. It’s most of the time something you can’t help but complain about. And in most cases, there’s nothing that can be done about it.

Everyone you know or talk to has one thing in common: they all have a pet peeve. Pet Peeves can range from multiple things, like people talking too loud, someone leaving your bedroom door cracked, or someone making repetitive noise. To some people, these things aren’t a problem, but to others, it’s a big disturbance.

“My biggest pet peeve is when someone talks over me,” said sophomore Aubrey Brown. “When I was in the middle of a conversation, and someone else was talking, they just talked over me, and I couldn’t get a word out. That bothers me.”

A common pet peeve is being interrupted or talked over. Someone talking over you can come off as a really disrespectful thing to do. It can be hard not to say anything when you are being interrupted. Usually, it can be an issue trying to get someone to quiet down so you can finish talking. Not only is cutting someone off in speech bothersome but cutting people off or slowing them down in the hallway grinds people’s gears too.

“I just don’t understand why you would cut in front of someone just to slow down,” said junior Kamyriah Webb. “I have places to be and a time to be there, and when you stop in the hall to have a conversation with someone, it holds me and everyone else up.’’

Being cut off in the hallway is something that has probably happened to every student. This is a pet peeve that can really bother someone, especially when we are in a rush. Students can be bothered by this because everyone has a place to be and a time to get there, so people need to move over if they’re going to have a side conversation, instead of holding up everyone else in the hallway. Webb believes it’s just a big inconvenience and a big setback to do so.

“One of the more difficult things a teacher has to try to accomplish is figuring out what motivates that particular student,” said history teacher James Keith. “It’s not a matter of putting a time limit on it; it’s just a matter of trying to work with that individual student to get them to understand that their education is important.”

Something that Keith has noticed over the years is student apathy. Keith described that student apathy is when a student has a lack of motivation and you can tell they really don’t care much about what you’re teaching them. This is probably a pet peeve Keith has with many teachers. He knows that every student has different levels of understanding things and also different levels of motivation, so knowing this, he tries to help in the best way possible without being harsh.