Cape Fear Voices and The Teen Scene is Named 2024 Non-Profit of the Year by the North Brunswick Chamber of Commerce

Cape Fear Voices / The Teen Scene named 2024 Non-Profit of the Year by North Brunswick Chamber of Commerce

Biography of Aaliyah

Biography of Aaliyah
Photo of album cover by N.Bryans

Famous Singer and actress Aaliyah Danna Haugton, better known as just Aaliyah, was born on January 16, 1979, in Brooklyn, NY. She was raised by both her mother, Diane Haughton, and her father, Michael Haughton. Included in her household was her brother, Rashad Haughton.

She attended Gesu Catholic Elementary School and Detroit High School. At the age of 11-years old, she got the opportunity to perform with Gladys Knight in Las Vegas for five nights. By the age of 14-years old, she released her debut album, “Age Ain’t Nothing but a Number” which earned her Best New Artist at the BMA’s (Billboard Music Awards) and STM’s (Soul Train Music).

One day while attending a basketball game, she caught the eye of actor Damon Dash. They started dating, enjoyed their careers together, and became an amazing and powerful couple. But sadly all of this would be cut short. On August 25, 2001, in The Bahamas, there would be a plane crash. It just so happened to be the plane that Aaliyah would be on. At age 22-years old she would be pronounced dead, which everyone was VERY sad, hurt, and devastated to hear.

And through all the talent and the devastating news about her death, it is what makes her so special and inspiring. So, here are some of her quotes that are inspiring to me: “Keep working hard and you can get anything that you want. If God gave you a talent, you should go for it. But don’t think it’s going to be easy.”  “If at first you don’t succeed, dust yourself off and try again.”