Beck on Deck

Fish, Boat, Water

Camdyn Beck is a freshman and local female angler for a fishing boat here in Ocean Isle. She has been fishing for as long as she can remember but started competing in tournaments at the age of nine. She enjoys every moment on the water and the environment that fishing creates.

“My favorite part about a tournament is just being out in the water and seeing nothing but other boats and the blue ocean,” said Beck.
Camdyn has won Jolly Mon 2 times and placed first Junior in the Fall Brawl.  She has caught a 42.75 pound fish for her personal best. There are some things that she finds more difficult than others, but she does not let that stop her.  “The most difficult thing I do is drive the boat because being short and trying to drive a 30 foot boat is sort of challenging when you can’t see over the bow,” said Beck.

Being a female in the fishing world automatically creates a different perspective, since fishing is often seen as a male sport. However, that is not the case for Beck, considering she has grown up on the water and has the talents of a skilled fisher.
“Being a female angler, you definitely get underestimated,” said Beck. “Whereas it would be natural for a male to tournament fish.”

Beck is walking proof that a girl can be successful on the water just as much as a boy can be. She is an inspiration for young female fishers and is an impressive young angler in our area.