Community Blood Drive

Community Blood Drive

On Thursday, February 4, 2021, the John E. Jacobs American Legion Post 68, Leland, NC and WWAY TV Wilmington, NC hosted a Red Cross blood drive. The event was held at the WWAY Event Center in Leland from 10:00 am to 2:30 pm. It’s not often that we, as private citizens, have an opportunity to do something that has such a lifesaving impact. Unfortunately, COVID-19 has made donating blood more difficult due to safety restrictions and lack of available donation venues. Alan Simmons, Red Cross Volunteer Ambassador, Post 68 Past Commander, and 9/11 survivor commented “The need for blood never takes a holiday and this blood drive was especially critical due an acute shortage of certain blood types.”

Due to this critical shortage, the Red Cross, Post 68, and WWAY organized this blood drive in a very short period of time. But in less than a week following the initial call for donors, Brunswick County residents had filled all available appointments. Despite these challenges, 42 units were collected – that’s 126 lives saved!! What a great way to pay it forward and make an impact on people in our community and across the country.

The blood drive was an incredible success, and we extend our sincere thanks to all the donors, Red Cross volunteers, and Post 68 members who made the event such a success, achieving over 100% of our blood donation goal. James Jarvis, Major, U.S. Marine Corps (Retired), Executive Director of American Red Cross of the Cape Fear Area stated “In any clime or place, our veterans served our country and American Legion Post 68 served our community again yesterday by cohosting a very successful blood drive with WWAY TV. The 42 pints of blood that we collected has the potential to save many lives and we couldn’t be more honored to partner with the Legion to help our community hospitals receive the blood they need.”

Post 68 will sponsor additional blood drives this year to commemorate Memorial Day and 9/11.