A Timeless Dream

Dan Dodge

There was light beaming through my window and my curtains were swaying because of the wind. I got out of my bed and looked at my clock, 8:34 am. And that’s when I realized it was the new year.  I grabbed my calendar off my bedside table to switch the page into 2022, but when I flipped the page, it said 1822. For some reason, it went back 200 years?

I opened my curtains and looked out the window to see what was going on. There were people in weird hats and these long lace dresses of different faded colors, carrying baskets of goods down to the lake. I got out of my bed, put on my slippers, and ran downstairs to see my mother and grandmother, washing clothes and cleaning the kitchen. “Where are we,” I asked. “Honey, I’m so glad you’re up! Would you mind going to the market and grabbing us some bread, dear?” She said excitedly.

How is this happening right now? The last time I checked, I was in 2022, having fun sleepovers with my friends and playing on my iPad. I thought to myself, maybe if I go to the market, I may see someone I know. I mean, it is worth a shot. I nodded my head at mother, grabbed a basket on the floor near the door, and headed out.

As I was walking down the street, which used to be called Counter Street, I noticed the road was rough. I felt very awkward walking down the street while everyone around me was staring. I had my head down, staring at a basket, when I noticed I ran straight into the wall of the market. I fell to the rough rocks and hit my legs as soon as I fell down. I had my head down when I heard a deep voice coming my way. “Are you okay?” said a strange boy, “Yeah, I’m fine,” I said as I looked up and saw him standing in front of me with his hand out. I put my hand out and grabbed his as he pulled me up off the ground, and we locked eyes.

“What’s your name?” he said, “Me? oh I’m Anna.” I responded, still locking eyes. “Beautiful name, I’m James,” he said. And at that moment, I felt empty, but in a good way.

As I was looking deep into his eyes, I opened my mouth and asked, “is this real?”. And that’s when I opened my eyes. I was staring at the ceiling of my bedroom. It was New Years, but this time it was 2022.