The Social Issues of Today: Religion

Many are going to ask what is wrong with religion and why it is considered a social issue, but truthfully nothing is wrong with religion overall; it’s the fact that people cannot talk about it, without getting offended, or discriminating against others. Most of the discrimination that happens is because people were raised and influenced by their parents, who set in stone a belief system that their children are encouraged to follow. A survey conducted by Pew Research Center and taken by teens ages 13 to 17 in September of 2020 showed that 52 percent of children are not the same religion as their parents due to conflict or pressure within their family. This shows that who you are raised by or who you spend time with influences you and your decisions, and that we should not judge others just because they have a different point of view.

In May of 2019 the persecution levels of Christians were at a near “genocide” level throughout multiple different parts of the world says BBC News; because of this people choose to not talk about religions, due to being scared about how people will react, being judged by others, or being put on a pedestal because they have to be a “good Christianity student”. I know this because I am a Christian and have experienced being scared to share my faith, judged and put on a pedestal. An example of this would be back in August of 2021 when I started attending a new school at which I thought would be full of Christians present in their faith, but I was completely wrong. So in hope to change people’s opinion and viewpoint on religions I decided to share my biblical views. While doing this I thought I would make an impact on others and not receive backlash, but instead I was bullied, called names, hated on, and judged on the basis of sharing my beliefs.

Overall religion can be a hard topic to talk about but how people react is the main problem. Religious people should not have to worry about whether they are going to be bullied or killed just because they decided to share their religious views with someone else.