Sheila’s Revival, Part 5

Brendan Connelly, Contributing Writer

SHELIA’S REVIVAL PART FIVE

By:  B. Connelly

Gail then gave them the same homework assignment, but this time it was to do a Random Act of Kindness in the classroom or around the school.

The next day Gail asked them to share what they did.

Billy said, “when I got off the bus this morning, I saw a student, Will, walking on crutches. I walked up in front of him, opened the door for him, and assisted him to his classroom.”

Michael said, “this morning, I saw a teacher, Bill Harrison, carrying a couple heavy boxes of books from his car. I went over to him, took one of the boxes, helped take them to his classroom and then helped open the boxes and sort them out.”

Kelly said, “this morning I saw a student, Emily, who must have been new because she looked lost. I asked her what class she was looking for. I helped guide her to her classroom.”

Grace said, “this morning, a student on our bus, Dave, needed some extra money to buy lunch. I lent him a $5 bill.

Gail said, “these are all great important things to do. I encourage everyone to do a random act of kindness every day and it will truly make you a better person.

There are so many people in this world who are do not have enough food to eat, don’t have enough water, clothing, money or a home to survive.

I would love for us to help them out.

I propose we start collecting nonperishable food, water, unwanted clothing, books, money and toys that we can send to our troops and to the poor.”

Gail then stepped up and told the class about another great idea she had: “to make a period each week to play educational games such as Scrabble, Jeopardy, Wheel Of Fortune & Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, which would be fun and at the same time challenge our minds and help us all learn, and we have the perfect person here to help lead us in these games.”

Shelia and the rest of the class loved the idea. Shelia got emotional cause it made her think about her grandmother who always loved watching Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune with her.

Shelia went home that night and heard the song “Reach Out and Touch Somebody’s Hand,” by Diana Ross, and she immediately became enlightened by the lyrics and its message.

The next day Shelia went into class and told Gail and her classmates that she has an important idea to share with them.

Shelia played the song and started to explain it gives several valuable life lessons.