The Rollercoaster Ride Of My Life, Part 4

Brendan Connelly, Contributing Writer

In the fall of 2008, my life began yet another chapter. I started college at Dominican College in Blauvelt, New York. I chose Dominican for a few reasons. The first reason was the kind staff and students around to assist people. Dominican offers services to Special Needs students, if they need any accommodations to help them in class. I took advantage of using the Learning Resources Center, to help me take my tests. Another reason why I chose the college is because it is very easy to get around. You do not need to walk a half hour to get from one class to another. The final reason why I chose Dominican is, because it was close to my home in Harrington Park, New Jersey. My home was just 15 minutes away from the college. Thus, I was comfortable in the college and was comfortable commuting every day. In May of 2012, I graduated from Dominican College with a Bachelor’s Degree in English and a Minor in History. I graduated with a 3.4 GPA.

The roller coaster ride is nearly at the end. Just one more stop, my future. This roller coaster ride I took you on is about to end. My life has certainly felt like a roller coaster. Seizures as a baby, a great Preschool and Kindergarten,  County Road, the 9 great years at Forum, 3 years at Shepard High School, 2 years at NVOT High School, 4 years at Dominican College and now a College Graduate.

In 2016, my parents and I relocated from Harrington Park, New Jersey to Leland, North Carolina. I have become a frequent writer for Cape Fear Voices newspaper and a member of the Brunswick Forest Next Chapter Book Club, a book club for disabled adults.

This August, it will be 35 years since my last seizure! I feel like a different person now than who I was 35 years ago. I have more confidence in myself, that I can do anything. A lot of this would not have happened if I did not get all the support I got. Now as I look to the future, I would love to become a professional writer. I would also love to help Special Education students who are in a similar situation that I was in.

This is my closing message: Never give up on your dreams because your dreams will take you very far.