How Do You Crochet a Granny Square?

Natasha Rivera

How Do You Crochet a Granny Square?

Crochet is a fun craft that you can make different things with from bags, toys, or even clothes. One of the easiest things to make is a granny square, not only are they easy to make, they are also extremely versatile. You can make bags, blankets, toys, etc.

Abbreviations 

R: Round 

How to do each stitch

Double Crochet: Yarn over and insert hook into the next stitch yarn over and pull through the stitch yarn over and pull through the first two stitches then yarn over and pull through the last two stitches.

Chain: Yarn over and pull through the loop.

Slip Stitch: Insert hook, yarn over, and pull through the stitch and loop.

Magic Ring: Wrap the yarn around your fingers twice on top of each other to form an x. Insert your hook under the bottom yarn, then grab the top piece with your hook and pull through and twist then yarn over and pull through the loop.

Granny Square 

R1- Start by making a magic ring, then chain three. This will count as our first double crochet, then make three double crochet. This will give you four in total, then chain two and make four more double crochets, and chain two. Repeat this until you have four clusters of four double crochets and slip stitch into the third chain 

R2- Chain three will be our first double crochet, double crochet into all the following stitches, then in the chain two space, make two double crochets chain two and make two more double crochets. Continue this pattern until the end of this round and slip stitch into the third chain of your first double-crochet 

R3- Chain three and continue to double crochet into the following stitches. Then in the chain two space, make two double crochets and make two more double crochets. Continue this pattern until the end and slip stitch into the third chain 

You can end the granny square or continue this pattern to make it as big or as small as you want it.