A Message to Miss Pender’s Journalism Class

Photo of Jan Morgan-Swegle

Greetings Everyone;

This is Miss Jan.  I met you for the first time last Friday  and I think we are going to have a really fun year.  Thank you for your story ideas and creativity.

Mr. Decker and I want all of you to understand that you will write, in one way or another for the rest of your lives.  It is an important skill.  If you go to college, you will be writing term papers.  If you go straight into the workforce, you will be writing  a resume, a cover letter and maybe later, reports that relate to what you are doing for a living.  No matter what it is–you will be writing.

Writing is a journey that can take you many places.  This year, we will be working on giving a voice to your ideas.  To writing well.  To communicating with others.  But, mostly, we will work on creating a venue that enables you to be you.

I know that somewhere in all of you is something important you have to say.  I am pleased to be on this journey with you and will do I can to make you better writers and have fun along the way.

See you in October.  I hope to review some of your Patriot Pen ideas.  Remember, the key word in the assignment is “inspires.”  What inspires you.

Have a great day!

Jan Morgan-Swegle

“Miss Jan”