Kill The Indian And Save the Man

The United States government operated hundreds of boarding schools from 1819 to 1909 and provided support for more than 1,000 others. There were at least 523 government funded schools
often operated by Christian Churches. Their primary objective was stated as “Kill the Indian and Save the Man” by eliminating traditional Indian ways of life.

In the process these schools denigrated the Native American culture and language. Most studies indicate that boarding schools had a negative impact students non-cognitive skills.  My birth mother and her brother were rural boarders who as many others more likely experienced bullying, loneliness and depression. All of this resulting in lower self-esteem, resilience and serious difficulties in forming healthy relationships with others.

The lasting effects of being taken away from their family and living with strangers was to be the loss of their native identity. Their trauma led to long-term psychological problems to include
alcoholism, relationship difficulties and a sense of emotional numbness. My mother and her brother both appeared to be socially confident, but struggled with lack of trust in their relationships with others. Native Americans face prejudice and discrimination daily.

My uncle was found dead from a shotgun blast. To this day it is not known if it was self-inflicted or murder.