2nd Annual Teen Scene, Cape Fear Voices Writers’ Awards Banquet

Award%2C+Awards

Jan Morgan-Swegle, Editor

Well, Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep couldn’t make it, but there were still a lot of stars that came out for the Teen Scene, Inc., 2nd Annual Writers’ Awards Banquet, held at the Leland Cultural Arts Center.

On Saturday, March 12, we celebrated the mission, growth, and success of Teen Scene, Inc., recognizing writers, young and old, for their literary and artistic contributions.

Gerald Decker, President of Teen Scene Inc., was the Master of Ceremony and the spirit behind The Teen Scene and Cape Fear Voices newspaper.

The theme was “A Night at the Oscars.” There were Oscar statues on each table and a red carpet to welcome everyone. The music was presented by “Shades of Grey,” the local and very popular “Doo Wop” group. Even the teens on the scene enjoyed their songs. The meal was presented by Coastal Catering and Events. Our guests danced, sang with the band, enjoyed a great meal, and had a really good time.

The night wouldn’t have been possible without our Event Sponsor, Deb Pickett, Financial Advisor from Edward Jones. Our Program Sponsors included: ATMC, Alive Property Management, the Brunswick County Branch of the NAACP, the Brunswick Arts Council, the Gullah Geechee Greenway/Blueway Heritage Project, and NC Farm Bureau Insurance-Brunswick Forest agents: Mark Ellenberg, Adam Clark, Jared Speight, and Blake Hundley.

Our donors included: Bev Haedrich, Bojangles, Bridgewater Wines, Brunswick Golf Club and Restaurant, Cape Fear Seafood Company, Capelli’s Salon, Chick-fil-A, Debbie Channell, Evonne Phillips, Farmhouse Kitchen, First Bank of Belville, Five Guys Restaurant, Greatest Potential Chiropractic, Jan Morgan-Swegle, KFC, McDonald’s #5658, Panera Bread, Patty Decker, Pizzetta’s Sarah Jones, Shuckin’ Shack Oyster Bar, State Farm Insurance Agent Josh London, Stu Friedman, and Terri & Jim Delfino.

The evening included a presentation from Carl Parker, President of the NAACP, who gave a monetary award to Dr. Kimberly McDuffie, Principal of Leland Middle School, for her support of the Teen Scene’s mission and programs. We were also joined by Mayor Brenda Bozeman, Dana Fisher, Leland Chamber of Commerce, and Dana King, President of the Board for the Brunswick Arts Council.

The real stars of the evening were the writers, young and seasoned, who entertain us each month with their stories, poems, and musings. Our participating schools with Journalism Clubs are Brunswick Early College High School, Cedar Grove Middle School, Leland Middle School, Town Creek Middle School, and West Brunswick High School.

The Founder’s Award was presented to Giancarlo D’Alessandro, Layout Designer for Teen Scene and Cape Fear Voices.

It was a special evening for some very special people. We hope to see you next year when we do it all over again.

Thank You To Our Sponsors & Donors

Event Sponsor

Deb Pickett – Financial Advisor, Edwards Jones

Program Sponsors

ATMC
Alive Property Management
Brunswick County Branch of the NAACP
Brunswick Art Council
Gullah Geechee Greenway/Blueway Heritage Project
NC Farm Bureau Insurance – Brunswick Forest: Mark Ellenberg, Adam Clark, Jared Speight, Blake Hundley

Donors

Bev Haedrick
Bojangles
Bridgewater Wines
Brunswick Golf Club and Restaurant
Cape Fear Seafood Company
Capelli’s Salon Studio
Chick-fil-A
Debbie L. Channell
Evonne Phillips
Farmhouse Kitchen
First Bank of Belville
Five Guys
Greatest Potential Chiropractic
Jan Morgan-Swegle
KFC
McDonald’s Store #5658
Panera Beard
Patty Decker
Pizzetta’s
Sarah D. Jones
Shuckin’ Shack Oyster Bar
Josh London – State Farm Insurance
Stu Friedman
Terri and Jim Delfino

Participating Schools With Journalism Clubs

Brunswick County Early College High School
Cedar Grove Middle School
Leland Middle School
Town Creek Middle School
West Brunswick High School