Show Your School Spirit with Spirit Week

Photo by Violet A.

The American high school experience usually involves spirit weeks. Spirit weeks have been used for the upcoming football games, the week following the end of the quarter, or even the week before a break. Usually on these weeks, there is a set list of themes everyone can choose to follow on those certain days.

Early College High School doesn’t have sports teams, so our Spirit Week was in spirit to the end of our quarter and getting our report cards. We built up our week to our quarterly celebration.

Our school’s SOAR club put together everything for spirit week. Freshman Addison Frank who is a member of the SOAR club had to say,  “When planning spirit week our club has to take into account what feedback we received for spirit weeks before and try to make the days as fun as possible while still staying within the guidelines. Not everybody can be happy but we try to get as much participation as possible.”

I am starting the week with Monday, College Day. Students wore clothing to represent a school to symbolize where they might want to go to college. Students either had logos on the clothes or wore the school’s colors. This day promoted futures and goals.

Violet A.

Tuesday was Celebrity Day. Students would take part in dressing up like characters or celebrities.

Some students even dressed up like teachers, Like Freshman Jordyn Semidey says, “Mr. Clark is awesome, I love Mr. Clark, yes Mr. Clark is a celebrity.”

Wednesday was Surf vs Skate, students chose fresh and slick when choosing which aesthetic they would pursue that day. Students dressed in skating attire wore backward hats, and baggy dark-colored clothes, some had denim jackets. Students who wore surfing attire wore floral outfits, sunglasses, flower necklaces, and shorts.

Thursday was Adam Sandler day. Students would dress in baggy clothes, jorts, basketball shorts, and backward hats. Other students would dress up as a character Adam Sandler played.

For example, I saw someone like Billy Madison and Robert “Bobby” Boucher from Water Boy. But most of the participating student body wore baggy clothes, a backward hat, and long socks, to emulate Adam Sandler’s “I don’t care persona”

On Friday Students can sign up for a color to represent the same colored team, for group games during the quarterly celebration. On Friday there was a field day, where there were teams of basketball, tug of war, and all other types of games.

“I loved the themes this week. My favorite was Skater vs Surfer Day. A lot of students and teachers were very creative. Yes, I feel Spirit Week is productive and things like this are necessary. It adds to the overall school culture at BECHS.” Says Vice Principal Anthony Tantillo with his view on Spirit Week.

Overall Spirit Week is a great outlet for showing your school spirit. Each student gets an excuse to wear fun costumes and outfits, matching all to one theme. It’s almost like a competition to see who can dress more in theme. Having little celebrations like this is a fun way to celebrate how far in this school year we’ve come. I’m ready for more celebrations to come. It’s like a reward.