News at Teen Scene, Inc.

Gerald Decker, Founder, President

We had a good month sports fan! We received a grant from Brunswick Electric Membership Corporation, received the “Community Partner Award” from Brunswick County Early College High School, and an amazing donation from one of our supporters.

We had a field trip with students from Leland Middle School to talk to 5th graders at Belville Elementary about being in the Journalism Club when they get to middle school next year. The visit was the brain child of Teen Scene writer, Charlie Sedbrook, who put the plan together and made it happen. Thanks to Dr. McDuffie, Ruth Thompson and Kathryn Pender for being sponsors and coordinators for the visit. Presentations were made by Charlie, Eli Barrington, Viola Brown, and Lilyrae Bradley. Thanks to all of you for stepping up to make such an important contribution to your Journalism Club.

Our friend, Paul Paolicelli-an author, and former NBC Bureau Chief joined us at BC Early College High School to discuss the importance of writing and careers in Journalism.

We have recruited two students to basically run the operations of The Teen Scene through our new online presence. They will design the web, prepare 5-minute newscasts for participating schools and develop a line up of writers interested in doing one-minute podcasts on our new website.

There is a lot of activity behind the scenes to develop new programs for both Cape Fear Voices and The Teen Scene. We can’t wait to bring our Ben Franklin methods of doing a monthly paper to the 21st Century.

Many thanks to all of you on this our 2nd Anniversary. You all make it happen. The help for all the nonpaid volunteers is invaluable. Let’s do another year.