The Teenagers Of BCECHS’s Take On Costumes.

Kai Cicatello

Costumes are a tradition almost everyone participates in during Halloween, especially kids and teenagers. The students at Brunswick County Early College High School are no exception. Most of the five teenagers, when asked what they were going to dress up as, had answers that could be categorized into 3 main topics.

Classic Halloween costumes are basic and usually consist of vampires, werewolves, or just wearing a simple mask. Not many students were dressing up as these, but some were. This is most likely because of the lack of creativity and variety in these costumes. The classics are old and overused and many students did not want to be basic. 

Freshman Aiden A. is a student who may dress up in a classic costume. “I may just wear a mask or something.” his opinion on Halloween costumes is, “They are very good.”

Horror costumes usually come from horror movies. These could be characters such as Chucky, Michael Myers, and Ghost Face. These costumes had significantly more students dressing up as one of these; this is because these costumes allow the students to dress up as their favorite horror movie characters, which is fun for most students. 

Freshman Erica C. plans to dress up as the main girl from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. From this category, she said that “costumes are pretty cool.” 

The last category of costumes is fun costumes – either made up from a movie or just a funny costume. These costumes can look like a variety of things like Barbie, characters from movies or shows, and fairytale-like creatures. These costumes were the most popular as they encompass various topics and areas for creativity.

Junior Yazmine Franco S. was very excited and hyped for Halloween. “YES,” She also stated, “I can’t say what I am going to be, but a hint is that it is from My Little Pony”.

There was not a most common costume as almost everybody’s costume choices were different. The most popular category was the fun costume category. This could be for a number of reasons. A reason could be the creativity it allows or the ability to do almost anything. It could also be that this costume has the most room for characters outside of horror and is a safe option for anyone who does not like scary things. All in all, costumes are costumes, and everyone enjoys them despite what category they fall under.