How Did The Celtics Start Halloween?

Gabriel M.

Mostly, everyone knows Halloween as just a day to dress up and 

Trick-or-treat and eat candy, but Halloween has a spooky backstory.

Most people know about Halloween; it may even be people’s favorite

holiday, but few people might know about the origin of this significant day. 

Halloween started over two thousand years ago in a festival called the Celtic. The Festival of Samhain was a festival that people did every year to yearn off ghosts; they would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts.

People say that trick-or-treating also came from the Celtic people. They say that the Celtic people used to leave out food to appease the “spirits traveling the earth at night,” over time, people started to dress as monsters or spirits so that they could also get food in return. Bats, being a staple of Halloween, also came from Samhain as well. They say that the festival that the Celtic people held attracted bats, and The Celtic people thought they were spirits.

Halloween is mostly known worldwide, being celebrated in America, Canada, England, France, and Germany. While originating from the same festival, each country does Halloween a little differently, but it is done fairly the same. While some follow trick-or-treating, others might see it as celebrating departed loved ones.

While most countries celebrate Halloween fairly the same, some other countries do it differently. For example, In the eighteenth century, a man named Pope Gregory III decided that November 1 was a time to honor saints most commonly known as the Day of the Dead, which was also known to be celebrated back in the Festival of Shamian, which is why it is called the day of saints because they would have the festival where they would light bonfires and try to please the death by giving them food and a festival kind of like how the festival is celebrated. 

In conclusion, no matter how people celebrate, they can still have fun, and remember that Halloween started from one tradition.