The Mimic

Lee Ann S.

“Leggera!” I heard my brother calling out.

I groaned, flipping into my side and reaching for my phone. Two-thirty-eight in the morning.

I grumbled while dropping my phone back onto the nightstand and tossing my feet to the side of the bed, rubbing my face of the tiredness still present.

“What, Seguire?!” I stomped out of my room, walking to the staircase as the house fell quiet. I didn’t hear my brother’s voice for a while.

I stared at the decrease of stairs while holding the railing, furrowing my brows as I hollered again.

“Seguire!” Nothing.

I cursed under my breath, shaking my head before returning to my bedroom, only to stop at the broader of my frame when I heard glass shattering below.

I snapped my head back to the staircase with arched brows, racing from my bedroom to downstairs.

What on earth is he even doing up this late? He’s got work in the morning, idiot.

I felt the coldness of the wood fill the bottoms of my feet, causing my body to shiver as I reached for the wall near me for the lights, flipping the switch up and down. Only for the lights to keep off, leaving me in the dark.

I pulled my mouth back, rubbing the sides of my arm while walking off to the kitchen. He better not be making a meal at this time. I shook my head while seeing the dimly lit refrigerator kitchen.

I walked to the border of the archway, turning to look inside the kitchen to start nagging at my brother for waking me up but…

I froze.

I could feel the color of my skin spilling from my body as I stared into the kitchen.

I couldn’t speak.

Standing in the kitchen was not my brother; this person- no, thing- was not him.

I backed away, hearing nothing but the buzzing of the refrigerator and the shallow, sharp breaths of my own. What was this thing..?

Watching as it stared blankly at the opened fridge, I started to back away from the archway as I moved my hands to cover my mouth, the feeling of my breath being far too loud scared me more than anything.

I suddenly froze, squeezing my face as I heard the floor under my feet creak and saw that it tense up, watching its distorted figure move…

Bolting and sliding against the floor, I scurried back up the stairs and stumbled against my footing before reaching the safety of the top floor, turning around as my hair whipped against my face and the feeling of the color draining from my face once again.

Those eyes stared up at me from the bottom of my staircase. I jerked back, pushing myself to rush into my bedroom as I heard the sound of heavy steps coming up from the stairs, stomping like a madman whom I had just stolen from. I slipped for a second, trying to grab onto the railing from upstairs but missed by meters of doing so, causing myself to hit the floor face first.

“God-!” I hollered, my nose burning and flaring up as I held my face, pulling back with droplets of red liquid covering my fingers. I could hear my own heartbeat booming along my ears, the racing and ragged breaths of my own with a sudden wave washed over me, lifting my head up with my eyes widening…

Leggera…~” Was all I heard.

Suddenly, I felt cold, with everything turning to a blur before hitting the ground.