Pumpkin Spice Hot or Not?

Mr.+T.
Makayla P.
Mr. T.
Makayla P.

The leaves are changing, the air is becoming crisp, it’s getting cooler outside, and sweater weather has begun. Pumpkin spice has always been a big part of the fall aesthetic. But not everyone loves it as much as others. 

“No, it’s nasty,” Ashley Bullard says on the topic of pumpkin spice. But other people may disagree. 

“Yes, it’s amazing; you have to savor it,” Leah Brown says. Brown is a fanatic for pumpkin spice, Especially the pumpkin spice drink at Starbucks. 

Some people like pumpkin spice for the taste, some like it for the aesthetic, and some like it as a trend. No matter what the reason is, pumpkin spice is a big hit for lots of people. On the other hand some people feel strongly about their dislike for pumpkin spice.

“Anything other than pie, no, it’s too generic. Why not something different like caramel apple?” Lisa Mattingly says in one of the many interviews where this topic was discussed.

Pumpkin spice has been very popular, even dating back to 1934, and was created by the Dutch East India Company. It was most popular in Canada and Washington, D.C. Pumpkin spice has been popular for a long time because it can be used in so many different ingredients and dishes. Pumpkin spice is used in many foods and drinks, such as pumpkin pie, coffee, hot chocolate, cookies, cereals, and so much more.

The question people are asking is, “is it overdone?” Some responses said yes, move on, it’s time for something new. As Mattingly suggested, maybe try caramel apples for a change. Many people believe it is a cliche to like pumpkin spice because of the aesthetic of fall mixed with this flavor. The reason some people don’t like this spice is because they do not want to fall into the stereotype it brings along to the fall season every year. 

Even the vice principal at Brunswick County Early College High School has something to say about pumpkin spice. He says, “Yes, the spices that are put into the flavor are yummy for fall; I’m not a wackadoodle about it tho.” 

Overall, there are many different viewpoints when it comes to the topic of pumpkin spice. Some may agree with Mattingly and think we should develop something new. Meanwhile, others might agree with Brown and think it’s the best thing ever. The question is, who is right?