NORTH CAROLINA GULLAH GEECHEE GREENWAY BLUEWAY HERITAGE TRAIL HOSTS “NC YEAR OF THE TRAIL – 2023”

DEMONSTRATION PROJECT RIBBON CUTTING EVENT AT REAVES CHAPEL IN NAVASSA, NC – NOVEMBER 18, 2023
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony

The NC Gullah Geechee Greenway Blueway Heritage Trail Project is hosting a ribbon-cutting event for its Heritage Trail Demonstration Project on November 18, 2023, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at Reaves Chapel, 2024 Cedar Hill Road, NE, in Navassa, NC. The project is a collaboration with AARP, the NC Coastal Land Trust, and the Cedar Hill West Bank Heritage Foundation. The trail demonstration project is the first stage in developing a multi-use trail that recognizes the contributions of the Gullah Geechee people while also sharing the important history of Brunswick County and celebrating North Carolina’s 2023 Year of the Trail effort. Reaves Chapel, currently owned by the Coastal Land Trust, was built in the 1860s by people formerly enslaved on the Cedar Hill Plantation and other neighboring rice plantations. The demonstration project will include the unveiling and dedication of storyboard exhibit panels, a seating bench, as well as a trail marker for the site.

The Heritage Trail Project aims to create sustainable cultural heritage tourism opportunities by developing multi-use paths and waterway trails that celebrate the significant cultural heritage and historic sites of the Gullah Geechee community in and around Navassa. The project’s long-term vision is to establish the historic trail in Navassa, linking it with other ongoing efforts in the region and providing greenway and blueway connections to various towns and communities throughout the Cape Fear River area. Veronica Carter, Heritage Trail Board Member stated, “In our rapidly growing area, this unique opportunity will educate our community and its visitors on the history and culture of the Gullah Geechee people and their contributions to our Lower Cape Fear River region.”

Jesica Blake, Associate Director and Stewardship and Community Conservation Director at NC Coastal Land Trust commented that the Coastal Land Trust is excited to incorporate the trail demonstration project into the Reaves Chapel site, allowing people to interact with this historic site in various ways.

A statement by Rosalie Calarco, Associate State Director of AARP NC Coastal Region, revealed that the grant was awarded due to its potential to have a positive impact on communities in Brunswick County. Calarco further mentioned that the AARP Community Challenge grant program is part of the nationwide AARP Livable Communities initiative, which aims to create great places for residents of all ages in cities, towns, villages, and rural areas.

Complimentary offsite parking will be available at the Lakes at Riverbend Subdivision, with a free shuttle service to the event starting at 12:00 noon for all attendees. Because of limited seating at the site, the event organizers request that attendees please BYO seating.

North Carolina Gullah Geechee Greenway Blueway Heritage Trail Project website: https://ncgggbht.wixsite.com/north-carolina-gulla
  • Point of Contact: Brayton Willis, 208-936-0063