THE MIRACLE OF EDEN VILLAGE

For most of us, we cannot begin to fathom the miserable existence of someone living without a home, a place to sleep, food on the table, family, love, or hope for the future.

Year after year, individuals who are disabled, unable to work or otherwise fend for themselves, live the hellish nightmare of living on the streets.  Some are military veterans; some are victims of unspeakable abuse; some have the misfortune of suffering from mental or physical disability.  There are so many – too many.  All have fallen through the cracks of our society’s inability to help them in a meaningful, sustainable way, and embracing them in a safety net from a miserable inhumane existence seems almost impossible.

In Wilmington, though, a ray of hope for these chronically homeless, poor souls has occurred in the ground-breaking miracle called EDEN VILLAGE, “where no one sleeps outside.”

EDEN VILLAGE is a non-profit neighborhood of 31 tiny homes that are designed to provide a permanent home for single individuals who have, for a minimum of one year, been without shelter and need regular health care services.  The facility provides medical personnel regularly onsite to ensure care is available. The “gated, pedestrian-only community provides residents with a safe environment to receive services in their own neighborhood, and as a result, the residents experience a radical transformation in their lives. This immeasurably benefits the greater Wilmington community.”  Strict rules prohibit alcohol or drug use.

The miracle of EDEN VILLAGE is the result of a collaboration among our area’s nonprofits, faith-based organizations, individual donors, and local, state and federal grants.  It was spearheaded by Wilmington anesthesiologist, Dr. Tom Dalton.  Each potential resident must apply to Eden Village, and their backgrounds and needs are fully reviewed to ensure they meet the needs the Village is striving to provide.  Each resident pays a m

onthly “rental” fee of $300 derived from disability social security, veterans’ benefits, trusts, etc.  In addition, residents can earn “community credits” by helping out with tasks around the community that then enable them to take advantage of the community store that has been established on the campus.

The first Eden Village and Revive66.org campground was created in Springfield, MO and has become a resounding success.  Dr. Dalton along with his wife, Kim, visited their campus and they were inspired to use it as a model for the one here in Wilmington.  The tiny homes consist of about 600 sq. ft with an efficiency kitchen, living room, bedroom and full bathroom with shower.  Each have a charming front porch. Furnishings have been donated by several local furniture businesses in the Wilmington area, and a local artist has even donated her beautiful works of art to decorate their interiors. At present all of the units are occupied, and there is a waiting list.  You really have to see this amazing miracle to believe what has become possible with a vision and the support of so many who share that vision.  It truly makes you think of the possibilities if the concept is taken further and ultimately help even more of our homeless and forgotten individuals.

There is so much more to Eden Village! I was fortunate to have close friend and partner of Dr. Dalton, George Elam, lead an extensive tour of the campus.  Organizations interested in touring this unique, uplifting community or who might like to volunteer to help out should contact edenvillagewilmington.org.  Email is [email protected]. Telephone 910-200-7571.  Donations are always welcome with a most heartfelt “thank you.”

View Comments (2)