Bridge Closure Heightens Risks for Medical Emergencies

Brunswick and New Hanover Counties Coordinate Planning
Charles Bins
The Cape Fear Memorial Bridge is one of the major arteries into Wilmington, NC, from Brunswick County.

Residents of northern Brunswick County suffering medical emergencies will be especially vulnerable when repairs to the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge begin in January. The resulting traffic delays and detours mean trips to Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) will take longer.

How much longer depends, in part, on where you live. For reference, it currently takes about 17-18 minutes to drive the 9.6 miles from Lowes Food in Leland’s Brunswick Forest to NHRMC. Traveling to NHRMC via Rt. 17/74/421 over the Isabella Holmes Bridge instead totals 18.4 miles and takes about 32 minutes without traffic. While the two bridges are only 3-4 minutes apart via Rt. 421, the approaches to the Holmes Bridge will swell in volume when it’s busy.

The I-140 Bridge to the north of Wilmington is another option from Leland and other points south on Rt. 17. This route from Lowes Food to NHRMC is 31.6 miles and 38 minutes, again without traffic. (All estimates from Google Maps.) For real-time travel information on NCDOT’s Cape Fear Memorial bridge closure, visit DriveNC.gov.

It will take longer, but there is some positive news:

• Brunswick County and New Hanover County Emergency Management are prepared and coordinating planning for medical emergencies. (see Q&A below.)
  • The lanes into Wilmington are scheduled to be out of service for two months, not for the entire project. (See schedule of closures.)
  • NCDOT recently decided to postpone resurfacing a five-mile stretch of Rt. 421 between Rt. 74 and Rt. 17 until the bridge project is complete.
  • Truck traffic will be diverted to avoid 3rd and Market St. — major arteries for downtown Wilmington and NHRMC from the Holmes Bridge.

________________________________________________________

Schedule of Closures for Cape Fear Memorial Bridge*

January 11: Temporary closures begin on the outside lanes in both directions from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. (for construction of a work platform and other preparations). The closure then shifts to the inside lanes (to build a barrier wall) and the outside lanes will be reopened.

January 28: Both inbound lanes into Wilmington will be closed.

March 31: Inbound lane repairs scheduled for completion in time for the Azalea Festival.

April 9: Both outbound lanes from Wilmington will be closed.

May 23: Repairs scheduled for completion.

* NCDOT 12/20 tentative schedule; subject to change. ______________________________________________________________

Q&A on Emergency Planning

Below is a further perspective on emergency planning provided by Brunswick County Emergency Management Director Lyle Johnston and New Hanover County Communications Coordinator Caress Clegg.

What planning for medical emergencies is already underway?

Brunswick Co.: Planning has been underway since this event was announced. Brunswick County Emergency Medical Services has been in communication with other emergency response agencies to ensure that we have the same plan for emergency responses within the affected areas and a common line of communication for units responding. This includes EMS, fire, law enforcement, emergency management, and NC Department of Transportation (DOT).

New Hanover Co: To monitor the bridge in real-time during the closures, an Incident Command Center has been established on the 9th floor of Wilmington City Hall at Skyline Center.
This center provides a strategic vantage point for continuous monitoring. Emergency services on both sides of the bridge will have direct communication with onsite project management throughout the closure to ensure a prompt response to any medical emergencies.

(Clegg emphasized the close collaboration between Brunswick and New Hanover emergency response agencies to ensure comprehensive planning for medical emergencies, including working together to evaluate traffic patterns and identify efficient routes. She notes that DOT will be at the construction site, and teams will be providing support on the roadway for further feedback.)

New Hanover County is diverting truck traffic and other traffic. But is there an alternate route planned for ambulances when the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge lanes are out? 

Brunswick Co.: Brunswick County EMS units will use either the Isabel Holmes Bridge or I-140 when transporting to New Hanover County hospitals during the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge work. Transport decisions will be based on where we come from in the county, and current traffic conditions. These decisions will be made using the ongoing communication with our partners as listed in response to question #1.

New Hanover Co: As a coastal community, we are used to disruptions, and our organizations and agencies are well prepared to manage such situations. While travel times may be longer, we will use a regional approach, similar to emergency situations during hurricane season, to handle the closure. EMS will actively monitor additional ambulance routes in real-time. However, we have also discussed contingency plans to ensure access to Novant Health Airlink Air Transport in case alternative road routes become unavailable.

If someone has a medical emergency in Leland or in northern Brunswick County, who decides which ambulance to dispatch, which hospital to go to, and the route? 

Brunswick Co.: After contacting 911, the closest available ambulance will be dispatched. Upon assessment of the patient’s medical condition, the hospital decision will be made using our destination and transport protocols already in place. These protocols allow for the patient’s decision on where they want to be transported. If their condition cannot be handled by the hospital of their choice, EMS providers will advise the patient of the reason to be transported to a different hospital. These types of events include major traumas, strokes, STEMIs (i.e., serious heart attacks known as an ST-elevation myocardial infarction), and in some cases pediatric emergencies.

New Hanover Co.: EMS in both counties use GPS locators on their vehicles to determine which unit is closest to the call. 911 telecommunicators and responders have the ability to recommend other units based on unforeseen traffic patterns or other factors that may affect response times.

To what extent do the two counties coordinate emergency services? 

Brunswick Co.: Brunswick County and New Hanover County coordinate emergency services daily. Whether it is mutual aid for fire or EMS events, both counties work very well together, and this has been very evident since COVID-19 began in 2020.

During the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge project, Brunswick County EMS and Novant New Hanover EMS have started work on a plan to provide dual response to areas possibly affected by the bridge work. This will ensure that an ambulance can arrive quickly, regardless of which side of the bridge one comes from. Brunswick County EMS also could request the use of the Airlink helicopter in times of extremely time-sensitive emergencies. We use this asset when needed and will continue to have access during the bridge work.

Is Novant Health Brunswick County Medical Center equipped to handle some types of emergencies better than Novant NHRMC?

Brunswick Co.: Novant New Hanover is the regional medical center for southeastern North Carolina and provides the highest level of medical care within the region.

Both Novant Brunswick Medical Center in Bolivia and Dosher Memorial Hospital in Southport have 24/7 emergency rooms, but they are not considered trauma centers or specialty care centers.  We transport to both on a regular basis for emergencies that do not require the services of a regional medical center or specialty care type center. If a patient from northern Brunswick County wishes to be transported to one of those facilities, we will transport them there.

Due to the location of Brunswick County, we also have access to McLeod Seacoast Hospital in Little River, South Carolina, and Grand Strand Hospital in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Grand Strand offers similar services to Novant New Hanover, and McLeod Seacoast offers cardiac catheterization procedures, which are offered at both Novant New Hanover and Grand Strand. We already use these hospitals for these services, and destination decisions are based on which hospital is closest.

For more information about the bridge closure: visit WilmingtonNC.gov:

https://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/departments/general/ncdot-bridge-closure

Cape Fear Memorial Bridge