BETA Book Drive

BECHS BETA club held a book drive for Hope Harbor Community Service Center. Overall the drive turned out to be a huge success.

BETA club is a community service-oriented, student-run club. But ours is only a small part of the entire picture. BETA was founded in 1934 by Dr. John West Harris, growing from only fifteen members to five hundred thousand members annually. However, even throughout this club’s growth, it never lost its focus on what it stands for–academic achievement, character, leadership, and service–also known as the four pillars.

“You cannot join BETA club for scholarship intentions, but for the heart of being in the club. Being part of BETA demonstrates maturity in a person and how a person is willing to take action when no one else will,” says Sophomore Edgar Cerillo.

So, even though our part of the club may be small, this drive was only one way that BETA has given back. They host a fundraiser every year with Krispy Crème doughnuts and have done a canned food drive.

Books can give people of all ages an outlet into a new world, depending on how involving the book is. They can also help people get away from stressful or even traumatic events that some may be going through and give temporary relief from them.

“I believe this book drive is a wonderful contribution to our community. In BETA we aim to become leaders in our community and give back to our community. This book drive may make many people in need happy,” says Sophomore Juliannah Shultz.

“I think the book drive was a wonderful way of finding a new purpose for old books for everybody,” says Junior Alessandra Ortiz.

Books, once they get a little old or have been read multiple times, often get wasted and thrown away. This book drive allowed these old and unwanted books to have a new life and last just a little longer.

Photo by Pricilla du Preez on Unsplash