The Big Game

Southeast Regional Early College Co-Ed Basketball Tournament, April 6th, 12:30 to 3:30 in the afternoon
Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

For Early College students who enjoy basketball, April 6th is a very important day for sports lovers. It is the day of the Southeast Regional Early College Co-Ed Basketball Tournament.

The reason this event is important is largely because it brings together early college students from six different schools to compete in basketball. This is unusual because Early College High School is known for not hosting official sports teams. This tournament is going to consist of about six to seven teams and two of those teams will be hosted by our school. It will happen on April 6th from 12:30 to 3:30 in the afternoon.

The coaches for the teams are parent volunteers who were collected by Coach Absher himself. Beta Club will be selling concessions outside of the gym during the game. The big prize of the game is a three-foot-tall trophy that was won by Early College East last year and will be up for grabs this year because it’s a true mystery who will win.

There is a festival titled the Firebird Fest that will be going on during the game. The Firebird Fest is hosted by the Student Government Administration (SGA) and will have booths from any Early College club that would like one. There will be food trucks that freshmen are allowed to eat from because the game is on a Saturday and there will be a halftime hosted by the dance team.

Some graduates will be attending the game and will be selling concessions and cheering the teams on. For the future of the tournament, Early College High School Principal Denise Absher would like to have some sort of math game or trivia going on in the background of the game.

Absher describes this tournament and festival as, “An awesome experience for all Firebirds alike.”