What Makes a Woman?

Photo by Valentina Conde on Unsplash

Google defines a woman as “an adult female human being;” this definition is vague and does not encompass the whole meaning of womanhood. However, the definition of a woman is difficult and complex, and it goes much deeper than people assume.

“A woman is someone who can overcome hardships and knows that women have to go the extra mile to compete with men. We’ve never had a fair fight in life. When a woman succeeds, it’s a bigger deal. It’s hard for women to survive in life; however, it shows how much dedication we have for following through,” says junior Rheann Mills. 

“I think what makes a woman a woman is, someone that pushes through even whenever no one believes in them. Usually, we try to work a little bit harder to get the recognition we deserve,” says senior Anna Grace Baccante. 

“A woman is a woman when they have that nurturing gene going on,” says teacher’s assistant Amanda Stepka. Stepka is also a mom and a nurse. Freshman Terri McNaughton says (when overhearing Stepka’s responsibilities), “That’s a woman right there.”

“When a woman has respect for themselves and owns their worth, because when you know your worth, you know your power, and when you know your power, you know what you can do,” says Sophomore Jazmine Jarose. 

Women are the ones with that nurturing ability, they are the ones who know self-worth, and they are the ones who have dedication. All of these factors and many more are what makes women so powerful and able to conquer whatever is thrown at them. 

In the past, women have been taken for granted, but in recent years, it is important to remember that women are some of the foundations that make life so much greater. Without women, no one would be here. 

So, to those who say women are just “sandwich makers” or “dishwashers,” just remember the hardships and the amount of work women went through even to be considered people.