NHS Benefit Concert

for the Wounded Warrior Project
Photo by Ma’Kenzy F.

The members of the National Honors Society are holding a Benefit Concert to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. It will be Thursday, March 28, 2024, from 5:30 to 8:30 pm at the Odell Williamson Auditorium.

The Wounded Warrior Project is an organization that started in 2003 by providing basic care for service members as they were returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan. They have evolved to provide many post-service programs and services to help members with things like mental health, long-term rehabilitative care, and career counseling.

The NHS holds a benefit concert every year to support a large group of people through organizations. The president, Aria Harris, and the rest of the committee choose who or what they will raise money for based on the success from previous years. This year the Lockwood River Band and Wreckless Abandoned will be performing.

“It was difficult to get started because of the original laissez-faire approach and the two original bands backed out” stated Harris. But once they secured a date at OWA and got two different bands to perform everything started to fall into place. Being organized and able to take the reins on big events for the community like this is one of the reasons that she loves to be a part of the NHS.

Since she has a background of keeping everything together and being more of a democratic leader through her experience in Civil Air Control her role as president makes sense. Her goal is to get more community involvement and more members to share in all of the leadership that takes place.

The club offers a lot of leadership opportunities through leadership roles in the school for things like Bridge, Open House, and 8th Grade Presentations. Leadership is one of the four pillars along with SCHOLARSHIP, CHARACTER, and SERVICE. They are characteristics that separate your honors student from your regular student.