Women’s Hygiene Drive Helps Women In Need

At Brunswick County Early College High School, men and women all over the school get together to donate women’s hygiene products. This Hygiene drive is run by Rho Khappa, and all products will be donated to Hope Harbor.

Hope Harbor is an organization that focuses on keeping women safe, and healthy. Hope Harbor is currently run by BJ Stephens and their vision is to help women in need.

“My role here allows me to advocate for victims of domestic violence in the court setting, assist them during the process of obtaining a 50B Domestic Violence Protective Order as well as provide court accompaniment,” wrote VSP Chloe McLaurin.

Hope Harbor has been a resource for many women in need. All that is needed to do when in crisis is call the hotline (910-754-5856).

To show support for this program from BCECHS, Rho Kappa decided to run a women’s hygiene drive and donate all of the supplies to the Hope Harbor program. By giving these hygiene products Rho Kappa can support Hope Harbor and its dream.

“Hope Harbor collects lots of items and they are in need of Hygiene products since most things donated are food related. A lot of the clubs at the college donate to Hope Harbor so this program in our school typically works together well,” states club supervising officer Anna Baccante.

March is women’s history month which is why Rho Kappa chose to do the hygiene drive now instead of earlier or later. March has been a symbol for women all across the country that girls can and will do whatever it takes to be seen or heard.

“National Women’s History Month honors the successes and sacrifices of U.S. women. It dates to March 8, 1857, when hundreds of women from New York City garment and textile factories rallied to protest harsh working conditions,” states the Census Bureau.

“We needed a service project for March and we wanted to align with Women’s History Month. As much as possible we wanted them (the club members) to do service and connect it with Women’s History Month since we are a social studies club,” says club supervisor Kaitlyn Adams.

During the hygiene drive, Rho Kappa wants you to drop off hygiene products from a list they have created, to a couple of boxes around the school. This little thing will help a big cause.

“I like it, it was a good idea and I think that people can benefit from this,” states Freshman Sarah Ryan.

So, this hygiene drive is about more than just hygiene, it is about women and what they are to this school and the world.

Sources

Census Bureau

Hope Harbor