WHAT DOES MOM REALLY WANT? SURVEY SAYS…..

Mother’s Day is just around the corner and while it’s great to celebrate mom, it can be tricky getting her the “perfect” gift.

I remember years ago, my sister-in-law got a beautiful flowering plant for Mother’s Day  that her husband purchased, “from the kids.”  She kissed her kids and husband and declared, “It was exactly what she wanted.”   Later she confessed to me, it was the last thing on earth that she wanted, because it was “one more thing to take care of in the house.”   So, while she appreciated the effort, it was just one more thing to add to her long list of things to do.

Recently, NBC News did a survey on what mom’s really want for Mother’s Day and, while the results were surprising on some level, they actually made sense.

The number 1 request, coming in at 39% of those who responded, wanted alone time. Time to read, time to get away, time to relax—alone.

31% would like a clean house or area in the house without having to help clean it or do it over.  This included the dishes, taking out the trash, picking up clutter, running the vacuum cleaner or dusting.

Some moms, 22% in fact, said they wanted a Spa Day—time to get their nails done, get a facial, maybe even a massage.

And don’t forget, moms get hungry, too.  Several moms said they would like to have someone cook or pick up her favorite food. She doesn’t want to help cook or clean up after it.

As we all know, being a mom is a tough job, some mom’s said they would love 24 hours of uninterrupted rest—time to unwind and regroup.

But, for all the “me time” suggestions, a survey done by TopCashback.com, said, 55% of mom’s who responded wanted either a visit from their children who did not live close to them or spending time with just their nuclear family doing a fun, family-based activity.

Whatever you decide to get your mom, do it with care, love, and gratitude. Moms are superheroes, but even they don’t last forever.