Cape Fear Voices and The Teen Scene is Named 2024 Non-Profit of the Year by the North Brunswick Chamber of Commerce

Cape Fear Voices / The Teen Scene named 2024 Non-Profit of the Year by North Brunswick Chamber of Commerce

Stress Awareness April: How can students manage their stress levels?

Photo by Luis Villasmil on Unsplash

Have you ever felt stressed before? If so, did you feel like giving up on everything? Stress is a common issue among students in America. Stress can come in many different forms. It can originate from things such as school, home life, or even employment. But it may also cause negative impacts on students with their education. So, how can students avoid being overwhelmed by their stress levels?

There are two main types of stress disorders: Acute Stress (ASD) and Chronic Stress (CSD). There is also a well-known disorder known as PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder). ASD is a “short-term mental health condition that can occur within the first month after experiencing a traumatic event,” states medical professionals with the Cleveland Clinic. Chronic stress is a “consistent sense of feeling pressured and overwhelmed over a long period of time,” reports Rajita Sinha, PhD with Yale Medicine. So, how do these types of stress differ from PTSD? Well, as they may sound similar, the main difference is how long the symptoms stick with you. Acute stress normally lasts from three days up to four weeks. Chronic stress usually lasts from months to years. PTSD, on the other hand, can last a lifetime for some.

So, how often do students get stressed, what causes their stress, and how can they manage it? BCECHS students responded to a survey, and many different opinions were stated: “Too much work to do,” “Not enough time to do things,” and “Forgetting about things,” which are only a few of the reasons for this

buildup.

***

At BCECHS, the commonly stressed students are mainly freshmen or sophomores. Why is this? According to Assistant Principal Anthony Tantillo, many of the underclassmen, even as sophomores, are “still getting used to the acceleration that the school has– forgetting about things and having too much work just goes to show that they aren’t used to everything yet, but as you get to junior year, you can start to see that steady pacing” and by the time you get to your junior year, you have more free periods, which gives you a break from the work overload.

***

So, back to the main question: How can students manage their stress levels, and avoid being overruled by stress? Well, many students gave their opinions through the survey. Some of these included “focus on one’s mental health, take a step back and do something you know you can do easily while avoiding the things that keep you stressed.”

In school, taking breaks and focusing on the things that matter can help avoid the buildup of stress and stabilize your mental health. In general, stress is a normal thing for anyone, and it isn’t easy to avoid. But some effective ways to do so are to keep a stable lifestyle, connect with people, and always remember that taking care of yourself is important for your future.