FBI Publishes 2023 Internet Crime Complaint Center Elder Fraud Annual Report

WASHINGTON – On April 30 the FBI released its Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) Elder Fraud Annual Report for 2023, with financial losses in the billions for Americans over the age of 60. In 2023, total losses reported to the IC3 by those over the age of 60 topped $3.4 billion – an almost 11% increase in reported losses from 2022.

In 2023, the FBI received over 101,000 complaints from Americans over the age of 60. The most common types reported include tech support, confidence and romance, investment, and government impersonation scams. This year, tech support fraud was the number one crime type impacting almost 18,000 complainants over the age of 60, while investment scams continued to be the costliest to elder Americans in terms of financial losses suffered, with over $1.2 million lost to this type of fraud specifically.

The FBI is publishing the 2023 IC3 Elder Fraud Annual Report in hopes of bringing awareness of the crimes impacting those over 60 and reducing the stigma in reporting to prevent not only future victimization but also revictimization. Combatting the financial exploitation of older citizens continues to be a top priority of the FBI.

“Protecting our older Americans from these egregious scams is more than a priority; it is a moral responsibility,” said FBI Director Christopher Wray. “Every fraudulent act targeting older adults not only steals hard-earned savings, but also a sense of trust and security that we will not tolerate.”

To prevent victimization, the FBI encourages seniors to take the following precautions:

• Shred credit card receipts and old bank statements.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and shut down your device if you see a pop-up message or locked screen. Pop-ups are regularly used by perpetrators to spread malicious software.
  • Be cautious of unsolicited phone calls, mailings, and door-to-door service offers.
  • Do not give out personal information via the phone, mail, or Internet unless you initiated the contact.
  • Make sure all computer anti-virus and security software and malware protections are up to date.
  • Talk over investments with a trusted friend, family member, or financial advisor.
  • Require all plans and purchases to be in writing.
  • Do not pay in advance for services.
  • Do not pay for services via prepaid gift cards or cryptocurrency. Legitimate services will not request payment through these methods.
  • Resist the urge to act quickly or secretly, which are frequent tactics used by scammers.
  • If you believe you are a victim of fraud or know a senior who may be — regardless of financial loss — and you are not under imminent threat, please report the fraud to FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center at https://www.ic3.gov/

To view the full 2023 Elder Fraud report, please visit: https://www.ic3.gov/Media/PDF/AnnualReport/2023_IC3ElderFraudReport.pdf