The Issues of Today: Parenting

The Issues of Today: Parenting
Dan Dodge

How does your parenting style affect your child? This question is one of the most googled questions there is, so let’s break it down. Firstly, many people disregard the idea that parenting affects their child because many parents think that since they were parented a certain way and they turned out alright, that this parenting style must also work with their kids. This is a common misconception. In fact, your kids are completely different from you, so they are going to respond and cope differently than you did.

Studies, such as those conducted by psychologist Gwen Dewar, have proven that the way you parent your child affects their personality, self-esteem, social competence, and their happiness. An example of this is the ‘authoritarian’ parenting style. This term describes parents who have strict rules and poor communication with their children. Those who use this style will generally lead their children into doing great things because they have high expectations but at the cost of their happiness and self-esteem. So, is it really worth it? Now I’m not saying that you are the problem or that you should change the way you parent your child, but I’m saying that you need to take into consideration the way your child might react to the parenting style you use. And don’t be so hard on them all the time. They are children with a lot going on in their lives! Most of which they don’t even tell you, which may be because of the way you parent them. I hope that this article has given you some new perspectives about parenting.