Summer Bridge Prepares Freshmen to Think Beyond Four-Year Universities

BC ECHS

Can the foundational principles developed and implemented by early colleges to prepare students for college careers also be used to prepare a more knowledgeable, skilled trade workforce?  Does rigor and self-study produce higher-quality nurses and contractors? Do responsibility and relationships produce better community leaders and entrepreneurs? A group of rising freshmen at Brunswick County Early College are set to answer those questions and more as they start their journey at Brunswick County’s innovative high school located on the Brunswick Community College campus.

For the second year, Brunswick County Schools has offered an optional high school orientation program for all rising freshmen during the month of July. At Early College this program has been a game changer for 33 students who have toured the facilities of several possible program options they can explore as students during their tenure at the school.

Assistant Principal Anthony Tantillo saw the opportunity to acquaint students with the variety of options and worked with leaders all over campus to allow students to get a taste of the many different degree options available to them as Early College students.

When I was younger the adults were always pushing college.  It wasn’t a bad thing but I had no clue that there were other ways to become successful and make a living.  This is why it is so important to me to shine a light on not only college pathways but trade paths too,” Tantillo said.  

During the first week, students visited the Workforce and Trades program where they learned about carpentry, HVAC, and machine tech programs at the Brunswick Community College.  

Next, students moved next door to the brand new H Building, which houses the nursing and other medical-related programs at BCC.  Students observed nurse aide programs and learned about phlebotomy programs.  Students who are interested in furthering their education in nursing or dental technology can explore possibilities in this building with brand-new high-tech equipment like mannequins that can talk to students as they perform tasks like taking vital signs.  One high-tech doll can even give birth!

The hands-on activities of the week were eye-opening to many.  The visit to the ER department was an experience that changed many students’ views of what they could do.  Students who claimed they were scared of blood and needles were inserting IVs on prosthetic body parts just minutes after arriving for a tour of the facilities.  Students even got to practice intubating practice lungs.  

Students also had the opportunity to visit the cosmetology department, where they learned they could learn a trade and be working in a creative and sustainable career within a year.  They saw mannequin heads that previous students have created with a rainbow of colors of hair and styles.  They saw a newly renovated facility just waiting for clients to sit in chairs and classrooms where students can learn how to expertly detail nails and eyebrows before performing these procedures on real clients.  

Finally, in the last week of classes, students were able to tour the athletic facilities before spending two days in class with their teacher, Christian Clark, playing games in the gym.  

The students have spent time each day in the classrooms with three teachers who have worked together to coordinate lessons that will prepare students for higher-level questioning in classes. Each class was designed to approach the idea of questioning from a different perspective. Ms. White focused on soft skills such as annotating articles while Mr. Clark focused on Socratic questioning in his social studies class.  Ms. Askue focused on research and asked students to think about how they would present their own voices through student media, and each student was tasked with writing a story for publication by the end of the session.

“As an upcoming early college high school student, the summer bridge program has been an excellent resource,” says Freshmen Violet Azimi.  “I feel prepared and ready for this next school year.  I was very nervous coming into this setting but getting introduced to everything has helped me calm down and realize it’s not scary and I’m ready for high school.”

“This opportunity for rising freshmen is very important for relieving the angst they feel during the first days in high school,” White adds. “Through this orientation, students are able to become comfortable on campus as they learn where their classes will be, which buildings on campus house what, and they have time to get to know some of their teachers. They have time to work through fun activities with the administrative staff as Mr. Tantillo and Mrs. Absher were very visible and they orchestrated fun activities with them.”

Freshman Jennis Day exclaimed that she “enjoyed meeting new people, seeing what campus was like, and all the opportunities we will get.”  It certainly seems that her time at Summer Bridge paid off as she continues, “I am looking forward to the teachers and the classes!”

“Bridge gave students a chance to experience what a typical day in class will be like, the ins & outs of our campus, & gave them the chance to make new friends & connections. From the practical to the philosophical, students got a taste of what it means to be a Firebird,” Clark says.

Freshman Matthew Ziemba agrees.  “I enjoyed the freedom on this campus and I’m excited about the education I will get.” 

Principal Denise Absher gathered students in two different sessions to teach math and Early College principles.  

All pics provided by BC ECHS