Early College Graduate Attends Governor’s School 

Governor’s School

Governor’s School is a 4-week program held in different parts of North and South Carolina. The school focuses on talented, hard-working high school students nominated from their schools. The courses are unique and do not focus on grades and tests but focus on the success of students, discipline, and the arts.

Governor’s School is an opportunity for students who want to develop their social skills while also being able to experience a whole new level of education. The school offers courses in science, philosophy, social improvement, and multiple other courses. Each course is divided into 3 groups called areas 1, 2, and 3. 

Early College Graduate Gregori Fisher attended the Area 1 course, which is science. Area 2 is for people who are interested in philosophy. The theme of this class was “What is real?”. They covered several topics revolving around that essential question and had many discussions over it. Finally, area 3 was for people who were interested in covering social issues and bettering their social skills. The class even had an inside joke, calling the class “group therapy.” 

Not only does this 4-week course offer multiple lesson options, but they also give students the option to take part in enhancement classes. There were a variety of options, from going to the gym and playing sports like basketball to taking dance classes. There was even an enhancement to discuss Taylor Swift. Movies were also offered to students, such as The Truman Show. There was always something there for everyone to enjoy. They even had parties every Friday night. 

According to Fisher, everyone there was very welcoming and kind. He believes it was refreshing to be around people who are so committed to their future goals and studies. Fisher learned a lot from the other students, just as much as future students will as well. 

After attending this school, Fisher feels that the courses have intensified his love for science and made him want to push to be more competitive in college applications. 

Fisher recommends that any student thinking about going to governor’s school definitely should. “It’s an amazing experience, and even if you don’t have a good time, you will have some type of positive takeaway”. Some advice he would give people thinking about this school is to know your self-worth before you go and be confident in yourself. Don’t compare yourself to others because everyone has their talents and abilities. 

Overall this school would be an opportunity for anyone looking for a structured, welcoming environment to learn in and take a future step in their career while also being able to enjoy the little things and have fun.

Picture taken by Governor’s School of North Carolina

https://www.dpi.nc.gov/students-families/enhanced-opportunities/north-carolina-governors-school