Interview with Caregiver Mrs. Kay

A woman named Mrs. Kay is currently taking care of her mother, Clara. She is the main caretaker of Clara. Today, I’m going to interview Mrs. Kay and figure out what they’re going through.

CAMRYN: Okay, so do you give me consent to possibly publish this interview?

KAY: Yes.

CAMRYN: Okay, so can you describe how your mom got in the hospital?

KAY: On October 4th, my mother, who is 95, slipped on her porch. We had just left from visiting her. She didn’t have her phone with her and she lay on the porch for 2 hours until my brother-in-law found her. She had a dislocated left elbow and a broken left hip. After she was taken to the hospital, they put her elbow back in place with a soft cast and had a hip replacement. She has done great with her therapy and was able to come home on November 9th. She is amazing!

CAMRYN: Glad to hear she’s feeling better! That’s a lot for a 95-year-old to go through. How stressful was it for you to get your mother back home?

KAY: It was kind of stressful because I was afraid of her falling again and still am. That is why we have to have someone with her 24/7 for at least the next 2 weeks. Then we will see if she can stand by herself some.

CAMRYN: So, how many have been helping you with your mother’s recovery?

KAY: Me, my sister, my brother, and our families.

CAMRYN: I heard that your mother just got back home. Is she doing well?

KAY: Yes, she is doing really well, and she’s able to move with her walker and walk around in the house. She can’t go outside, but she is able to walk around inside using her walker because she has to have support, using the walker or a little cane.

CAMRYN: When do you think she’ll be able to get back to doing what she used to do?

KAY: She goes back to her orthopedic doctors on December 11 and 12, and they’ll see if they can release her by then. But as far as living by herself, it’s gonna be a few weeks.

CAMRYN: How is she feeling about this situation?

KAY: She wants to be able to stay by herself. The therapists are helping, too, and she is getting a little anxious to get back to her privacy.

CAMRYN: How independent was she before the fall?

KAY: Very independent. She was still getting her own groceries, driving to Burgaw, and she would walk and work in her yard, so, yeah, she has always been very independent.

CAMRYN: That’s a lot for someone 95 to do.

KAY: It is. The doctors said that if she wasn’t as active as she was, they would have not done surgery. But, because of her being in good health and being active, they did it. Most of them that age would have not taken them through surgery.

CAMRYN: Wow. She sounds like she’s strong! Well, what would you tell others going through a similar situation?

KAY: A lot of prayer! She has to do what the doctor says, and don’t just sit there, keep working. That’s what we’ve told her.

CAMRYN: Okay. So, are you happy she’s back home?

KAY: Absolutely. I really thought she was gonna have to go into assisted living, but thank goodness she put forth the effort to do what they told her to do so she could come home.

CAMRYN: Thank you for letting me interview you!

KAY: You’re welcome!

Take note that Clara is 95 years old, and she went through this. Recognize how strong and sharp-minded she is. She is 95!  Remember, Mrs. Kay is also going through a lot in this situation, too. She is using her time to take care of her mother. ( Mrs. Kay is trying to find a caretaker for Clara.)