Interviews Concerning Coaching Staff at Burgaw Middle School

We interviewed people at Burgaw Middle School about their opinions on not having one specific coach for each of the sports. We interviewed Coach Brown, Multiple Cheerleaders, and Women’s and Men’s soccer players. We first Interviewed Ally Wolset. She is a Women’s soccer player.

Questions for student-athletes-

• Does not having a professional coach to teach you make it harder to learn?

• How does it make you feel not having a professional coach?

•  Do you feel like your learning is being halted because practices are being canceled?

• Do you feel like it would be helpful to have multiple coaches for each of the sports?

Questions for the coach-

• How does it feel to not have multiple coaches for all the sports?

Note: We asked athletes about sports that have happened or are ongoing as cheerleading, football, soccer, softball.

1st Interview: Ally Wolset 7th grader occupation soccer player-

Question 1 “Does not having a professional coach to teach you make it harder to learn?”

“Yeah, Because the team captains are running the practice, so not a lot of people know what to do and no one really knows what to work on.”

Question 2 ¨How does it make you feel not having a professional coach?¨

“Well he doesn’t know soccer but he knows soccer but we need a coach for the girls and the guys to make it equal.¨

Question 3  “Do you feel like your learning is being halted because practices are being canceled?” ¨Yeah but right now I can’t practice anyway because of a concussion but practices are being cancelled.¨

Question 4   ¨ Do you feel like it would be helpful to have multiple coaches for each of the sports?¨  “Yeah I think it will make the sports and the teams better and more interesting games. It will make the games easier and we will know more.”

2nd Interview: Layla Throneburg 6th grader occupation cheerleader-

“Uhm I mean she’s a really good coach but it does set us back a little bit because she can’t physically show us what she is telling us to do.”

“I feel like I would learn if I was taught by a professional coach and do a lot more skilled and harder stuff.¨

Question 3  “Do you feel like your learning is being halted because practices are being canceled?”

“The thing is practices haven’t been canceled but even when the sport isn’t ongoing I still think we should have practices at least 2 – 3 times a week to keep us fresh.”

Question 4   ¨ Do you feel like it would be helpful to have multiple coaches for each of the sports?¨

“Yes because you can have one coach specialized in each of the skills.”

3rd Interview: Lola Flynn 7th grader occupation cheerleader-

¨Not reality for us because our coach is good at explaining things.¨

¨I’ve never really thought about it before but I wouldn’t say it would make it much different because she has cheered before.¨

¨Not really because since most of our team quit and we’re gonna have tryouts it’s kind of easier to start over.¨

Yes, cause some sports are in the same season and that coach has to do two sports at a time which would be very hard.¨

4th Interview: Addison Layton 7th grader occupation cheerleader-

“I would say no because I’ve never had a professional  coach and I feel like they would be much harder on you.”

Choose not to answer

“Yes because if we had more practice we could learn more cheers and stunts to do at games.”

Question 4   ¨Do you feel like it would be helpful to have multiple coaches for each of the sports?¨

“Yes, because you would have more people to teach and help you.”

5th Interview: Shelby Millis 7th grader occupation cheerleader-

“It depends in some cases yes because they don’t know everything about cheer but for the most part no.”

“I feel like because we don’t have a professional coach it takes chances away from learning a lot.”

Question 3  “Do you feel like your learning is being halted because practices are being canceled?

“Yes because we don’t have enough time to practice and have more cheer but having time to perfect everything.”

Question 4 ¨Do you feel like it would be helpful to have multiple coaches for each of the sports?¨

“I think it would so there isn’t a lot of weight on one coach and it would make the teams stronger and put together.”

6th Interview: Merari Antonio Mendez occupation Soccer player-

“Yeah, I mean yeah because our soccer coach’s main priority sometimes isn’t soccer and they might focus on other things.”

“Uhm it feels weird because you’re getting coached by someone who isn’t involved with the sport 100%.”

“Yes because we only have Tuesdays and Wednesdays to practice because we have games on Mondays and Thursdays and they have been canceling Tuesday practice leaving only Wednesday to practice.”

Question 4  “Do you feel like it would be helpful to have multiple coaches for each of the sports?¨

“I think it would be because there is only 1 coach and he already coaches three different sports and they are probably only good at coaching one sport.”

Interview with Coach Brown-

Question 1  “How does it feel to not have multiple coaches for all the sports?”

“Well we have instituted assistants but it sometimes is hard.”

Question 2 “Do you feel like it would be helpful to have multiple coaches for each of the sports?”

“Uhm even though there is a girls and boys team they are still the same sport so it’s not too hard to multitask.”

By-Farrah Randles and Annelyse Penny