2nd Annual Teen Scene Writers’ Awards Banquet

Dan Dodge

The 2nd Annual Teen Scene Writers’ Awards Banquet was held March 12th at the Leland Cul­tural Arts Center to a near full house. The event was to recognize writers, young and not so young for their work. The theme of the evening was “Os­cars Night.”

The evening kicked off with the presentation of the Found­er’s Award to Giancarlo D’Alessandro, Layout Editor for Teen Scene, Inc. Giancarlo was recognized for his outstanding pro­fessionalism and commitment to excellence during 2021 on behalf of Teen Scene, Inc.

The Teen Scene awards recog­nized area students in 4 categories. Those receiving recognition were Arabella Ong (BC Early College High School) “Best in Creativity,” for “Lotus Flower,” Achilles Hack (North Brunswick High School) was awarded “Best in Art” for “The Gremlin,” Karleigh Quinn (BC Early College High School) “Best in Poetry” for “Moon Poem,” Jaz

Teen Scene Layout Editor, Giancarlo D’Alessandro receives the Founders Award for outstanding work in 2021.

mine Garcia (BC Early College High School) “Best in Reviews” for “Josie’s Story.”

The Cape Fear Voices awards went to: “Best in Memories” to Maryann Nunnally for “First Great Grandchild,” “Best in Humor” to Sheryl Keiper for “The Stranger”, “Best in Non-Fiction/History” to John Hacker for “A Friend Indeed,” and “Best in Creative Writing/Poetry” to Janet Stiegler for “Partners in Wine and Crime.”

Carl Parker, President of the Brunswick County Branch of the NAACP, presented a plaque of recognition to Leland Middle School’s Principal Kimberly McDuffie for support­ing The Teen Scene and encouraging the importance of writing through the Leland Middle School Journalism Club.

The maestro and Director of the Award program was Cape Fear Voices Editor, Jan Morgan-Swegle. What a great job! The banquet concluded with an outstanding performance from the doo-wop band Shades of Grey who performed a number of the greatest hits from the 50s and 60s.

*Heading image: Teen Scene writers take the stage