Oh, What A Night!

VFW Post 12196 Gave Us All A Chance To Go To Prom Again
All-American+and+All-State+VFW+Post+12196+hosts+Senior+Prom+Night+in+Leland%2C+NC.+
Jan Morgan-Swegle
All-American and All-State VFW Post 12196 hosts Senior Prom Night in Leland, NC.

Photo of Jan Morgan-Swegle

On Saturday, July 15, VFW Post 12196, delivered a fantastic evening of dancing and fun.  If you missed the Senior Prom Night in Leland event, that was held at the Leland Cultural Arts Center, you missed a lot.

The evening started with DJ, Jeff Moss, who is the Past President of College Hunks and the North Brunswick Chamber of Commerce playing music of the ‘50’s.  Couples sang, danced and swayed to hits like “Only You,” from the Platters, “Blueberry Hill,” by Fats Domino and Great Balls of Fire from Jerry Lee Lewis.

It was only  a (sock) hop away from music of the ‘60’s, with music from the Righteous Brothers, The Temptations, The Supremes and Marvin Gaye.  Finally, we did the Electric Slide into the Swingin’ 70’s and ‘80’s!

Our “groovy” mayor, Brenda Bozeman was one of the celebrity bartenders along with Retired Admiral Ron Henderson, President of the Friends of the Battleship North Carolina and Post 12196 member, Retired Army General Dan Allyn.    Refreshments were provided by Lower Cape Fear Life Care.  The Jason Gaver family and North Brunswick Chiropractic were also sponsors of the event.

Leland Councilman, Bill McHugh was there along with Dana Fisher from the Leland Chamber of Commerce and Post Commander Nate Pringle and his wife, Jean.

Many people came in Prom attire—from long, sparkly dresses to tuxes and teal bow ties.  There were high heels, sequins and big hair for the ladies and cumber bunts, shiny shoes and dinner jackets for the men.

Gerald Decker, Past Commander of Post 12196 and host for the evening said, “It was a really successful event.  My phone was ringing off the hook with people telling me what a great time they had and asking when the next Prom event was going to be.”

The proceeds of the event, which included not only the dance but a silent auction and raffle, will fund the annual programs of VFW Post 12196, which includes supporting  local vets, schools and our community.

As we used to say, the dancing was “far out” and everyone said the event was  a “gas.”  We “mellowed” into the evening with slow dances and memories.  It was a “real bummer” if you couldn’t join us, especially if you missed your own prom so many years ago.  Kobe Kelly and Dorothy Maroni were crowned Prom King and Queen.

The morning after, there were some backaches and leg cramps, but, hey, “don’t be a square” and let that bother you,  join us at the next Leland Prom night.  We all had such a great time; it will be back by popular demand!