Post-Holiday Blues: The Least Wonderful Time of the Year

Photo by Eugene Zhyvchik on Unsplash
The most wonderful time of the year…

When one thinks of the holiday season, one typically thinks of twinkling lights, beautiful decorations, the excitement of gift giving (and receiving), and infectious joy from friends and family. However, this jolly atmosphere is quickly dashed after the last present is given, there are no more family gatherings to attend, and you’re just left with the lingering taste of your grandma’s homemade brownies and disappointment.

The hollow feeling that many experience after winter festivities is common, and has been dubbed the “Post-Holiday Blues.” The holidays offer a break to many people, and returning to normal routines afterward can be depressing. The intense emotions during the holidays often leave people exhausted, and as soon as the adrenaline wears off and the reality of everyday life comes back, they crash.

So, the big question is: How do we stop this flurry of negativity that follows the happiest time of the year?

Many psychologists say that the key is to acknowledge that the feelings will be there, and prepare. Some suggestions are to make sure that you have things to do after the holidays, such as practicing self-care or scheduling time to do things that you know will keep you happy. It is also suggested to manage expectations and savor the holidays while knowing that they can’t last forever.

It’s also important to just be easy on yourself, and know that the feelings will pass with time. Psychotherapist Gina Moffa reminds everyone to “Remember that you’re not alone. The holidays are a recipe for complicated emotions. Understanding how they will affect you is the way through.”

I have struggled greatly with this in the past, and my solution is a bit outlandish, but has helped me. I find something to celebrate every day, not just one holiday. This doesn’t change the fact that the holiday season is a bigger celebration, but it does let me have the holiday spirit year-round. Although I obviously don’t feel jolly and bright every single day of the year, I still find something to be happy about and celebrate mentally. My celebrations aren’t big, but rather just a mental acknowledgment that there is something for me to be happy about. Just the other day, I saw my elementary school librarian at the local grocery store, and had a small celebration in my mind! It was amazing that I saw her again, and it brightened my day. A few days before that, I got a compliment from a girl at my school and I celebrated that. I think that anything can be a reason to celebrate, not just major events.

The holidays are, undoubtedly, one of the brightest times of the year. However, the shine that they provide doesn’t have to go away with December. It’s important to prepare for any negative feelings that may arise following the holiday season and to prepare accordingly so that the most wonderful time of the year isn’t followed by the least wonderful time.

View Comments (1)