Army War Hero Reflects on Mental Health Impact in Military Service Members 

Bill Kinlaw

Wilmington, NC – Nearly 23 years after enlisting in the Army one day before the 9/11 attacks, decorated war hero William Kinlaw speaks out on the mental health crisis in the American Armed Services. 

In October of 2004, twenty-year-old U.S. Army Sergeant William Kinlaw found himself commanding twelve troops on a mission to retrieve a group of Marines and National Guard soldiers on their way out of a war zone in Al-Fallujah, Iraq. After a sixty-hour firefight and Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) deployed, two of the original twelve troops sent for the mission survived, including William Kinlaw, who was presented a Silver Star. According to the Department of Defense, The Silver Star is the third-highest military combat decoration that can be awarded to a member of the United States Armed Forces. It is awarded for gallantry in action while engaged in action against an enemy of the United States, while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force, or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. 

Though the physical war in Iraq and Afghanistan soon ended, the mental battles of veterans all over America continue even today. Sergeant Kinlaw struggled with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and mental health issues with multiple suicide attempts after his time in the Army. According to the National Library of Medicine, over 6,000 veterans die by suicide each year, the highest number ever in recorded history. The Library also reports that for every 100,000 service members, around 20 service members commit suicide annually. Though military personnel are not alone in the mental health crisis, the Department of Veteran Affairs states that military personnel suicide rates are 1.5 times higher than non-military. In an interview with Kinlaw, the now medically discharged sergeant reported he has a support system through the Department of Veteran Affairs. Kinlaw reported, “I have been fortunate enough to have a system of friends and family for mental health support and have stayed active by working as a carman for the railroad for the past two years.”

After earning his Silver Star for his gallantry in Fallujah, Iraq, in 2004, Kinlaw was awarded a Purple Heart while serving in Mosul, Iraq, a year later and eventually rose to the rank of Master Sergeant. Following some medical treatments that began in 2009, Kinlaw was medically discharged from the Army in 2011 and now works for the railroads. “It keeps me busy,” the Sergeant reported about his current role as a carman at the railroad, a job he took after retirement.

When asked how he first considered a life of service, Kinlaw shared his family’s rich heritage in the American Armed Forces among the branches as influential in his decision to turn down a college scholarship and instead enlist in the Army at the age of seventeen. He also reported the importance of the presence of the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) throughout his high school years and the inspiration of several mentors in both JROTC and his early days in the Army. 

The timing of Kinlaw’s enlistment meant an immediate impact on his life. “I had signed on the dotted line, and the next day was the 911 attacks,” reported Kinlaw. Regarding his time in the military and his career choices, Kinlaw reflected on what he found to be the most important takeaway from his career. “It was the core values of the military which meant so much to me,” the Sergeant shared. “The core value of respect never left me, and I have no regrets,” he continued. Kinlaw’s words about the next generation of service members state, “If you’ve got the mindset that you want to join the military, there’s always going to be ups and downs, so don’t let the negative things you hear about the military keep you from joining the military.” 

Kinlaw’s acts of service shall not be forgotten. Stay tuned for future columns on American heroes. If you, a friend, or any family member need emotional support, please take note of the International Association for Suicide Prevention Hotline by simply dialing or texting 988, a globally-supported hotline available 24 hours a day. 

Sergeant Kinlaw’s military awards.

Gerald Decker

Silver Star                            Purple Heart                                       Army Achievement

Army Good Conduct        National Defense Service               Afghanistan Campaign

Iraq Campaign                   Global War on Terrorism EM        Armed Forces Service

Master Sergeant                              Combat Action Badge                 Combat Infantry Badge