Rediscovering home…again

hbhfpEMYV76vAqwmQ/buT+hq2Jni4uN14Sy2tfIXvdB8vc55qDn9PkYfctLP3blhDyrbQqYq68zYO/1IUZ01Sw==

I moved to Wilmington four years ago. Because the city is so different from where I lived previously (Atlanta, GA), I knew I had to be intentional about creating my new normal. I bought a bike and headed out on the Cross City Trail. I ventured to Carolina Beach to listen to music at the Lazy Pirate and dance at the SeaWitch. I patronized local restaurants, including Indochine, YoSake, and Sea Level. Slowly and with some effort, I began settling into life in Wilmington. But then the COVID-19 pandemic hit. 

Since last year, I’ve felt disconnected from my new home. I’ve longed to be anywhere other than. I’ve missed Atlanta and, on some days, every other place I lived. I realized I needed to rediscover the Cape Fear Region … again

The weekend of Juneteenth was the most people I’d seen and been around since the start of the pandemic. My weekend kicked off with the unveiling of “Because It’s Time” on UNCW’s campus. It was a joy-overload to see so many of my colleagues again! On Saturday, a friend and I ventured to the Arboretum for a Juneteenth festival. Again, so many beautiful people, local vendors, live music, mask-free smiles, and warm hugs. I was ecstatic! And I was inspired.   

I came home and booked a visit to Airlie Gardens – did you know there is a monthly butterfly release? I’ve made weekly visits to the beach a recurring part of my summer routine. I’m looking forward to jet skiing and kayaking with friends later this summer. I visited Bigger’s Market and The Plant Place. I went for an extended walk on the Riverfront and was in awe at all the new, trendy housing and all the construction going on in preparation for the amphitheater expansion. And I am determined to make it to Lewis Farm to pick berries. 

I am falling in love with this place all over again. I am discovering and rediscovering so many local gems. I am grateful, and I am intentional about enjoying every single moment I have. I hope you’ll join me!