Biography – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Biography - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Photo by Marion S. Trikosko, 1964, U.S. Library of Congress

One of the most famous leaders of the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King Jr., was born on January 15th, 1929, in Atlanta, Georgia. He was raised by both his mother, Alberta Williams King, and his father, Martin Luther King Sr. Included in his household were his brother, A.D. King, and his sister, Christine King Farris.

He attended Yonge Street Elementary School, Howard Middle School, and Booker T. High School. He attended a few colleges. For example, Morehouse College from 1944-1948, Crozer Theological Seminary from 1948-1951, and lastly, Boston University School of Theology from 1951-1955.

Before going off to college, he met someone by the name of Coretta Scott, who he later married in 1953. After he came back from college, he and his wife, Coretta Scott, decided that it was time to start a family. So, they went on to have four children. His firstborn was Yolanda King, who was born November 17, 1955, in Montgomery, AL. She went on to become a spokesperson and a Film Actor. Martin Luther King III was born October 23, 1957, in Montgomery, AL, and is now 66 years old. He went on to be a Lawyer and Philanthropist. His third born was Dexter King, who was born January 30, 1961, in Atlanta, GA, and is now 62 years old. He became an Actor, Author, Advocate, and Documentary Filmmaker. His last born was Bernice King, who was born March 28, 1963, in Atlanta, GA, and is now 60 years old. She went on to become a Minister, Lawyer, and an Orator. They all also decided to follow in their father’s footsteps by becoming activists. For example, Martin Luther King III and Yolanda King were human rights activists, Dexter King was a civil rights activist, and Bernice King was a peace activist.

Not only did he decide to go on to have his first kid after college, but he also decided to become a leader in the nonviolent Civil Rights Movement. In fact, his first nonviolent movement began during the bus boycotts, which started on December 5, 1955, and ended on December 20, 1956. He went on to do several other movements. An example is the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Sadly, that would be his last movement because at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tenn, shortly after 6 p.m. on April 4, 1968, he was shot and mortally wounded by a 30-06 rifle. Later that night, he would be pronounced dead at 7:05 p.m. at St. Joseph  Hospital.

So because of all this stuff he did when he was alive plus some more is the reason why every year on January 15, we take a break from school, work, and everything else so we can honor, celebrate, and show our appreciation for all the stuff that he did for America. He continues to inspire others with all the things he did, all the amazing speeches, quotes, and more. Speaking of amazing quotes and inspiration, here are a couple that I find inspiring. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.”  “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.”  “Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.” “If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”  “We must learn to live as sisters and brothers, or we will perish as fools.”  And lastly,  “The time is always right to do what is right.”